Track of the Day: More Than This - Roxy Music


More Than This was the first single to be released from Roxy Music's final studio album, Avalon, in 1982.  Not only is it one of my favourite Roxy tracks, I also think it's the song which best represents the band's transition into the smooth and more polished sound which was so present in their later work.  Bryan Ferry's vocals blend effortlessly through verse and chorus, with lines which contribute to the atmospheric feel of the track - "Like a dream in the night / Who can say where we're going...Why the sea on the tide / Has no way of turning".  Just as impressive is the instrumental outro, which, led by lush synths and layers of guitar, more than makes up for the absence of vocals in the final few minutes of the song.

Comments

  1. Excellent choice of Roxy's later work - it demonstrates Brian's smoothness to a tee! Bit smoother than his dancing in the video (http://youtu.be/kOnde5c7OG8)...

    I must admit that I'm more of a fan of their early stuff (Virginia Plain is my fav Roxy track) but then again, I remember the 1970s and glam rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is your favourite Roxy album? I'm more of a fan of the later stuff - 'Avalon' is my favourite, but I also love 'Country Life' too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good choices - I do like their debut album but Siren is my favourite (Love Is The Drug is a great start to an album).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes 'Siren' is a good one too. I like 'Stranded' too. Their live albums are must haves also.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Stacey Brothers' Big Band Steely Dan Project: The Royal Scammers at Ronnie Scott’s, London – 20/01/2024

Hidden Treasures: Ball & Chain - Bus Stop

Guilfest 15/07/12 - Bryan Ferry